The overall goal of the FOREST DRAGON 3 project is to advance understanding in forest ecosystems mapping within China. In addition, methodological developments towards the synergy of different sensors and techniques are proposed. Furthermore, a profound study will be carried out, in which a Decision Support System (DSS) will be built around web services providing decision-support on the mixture of eco-system services in local to regional scale integrating space and airborne remote sensing data.
The eight objectives of the FOREST DRAGON 3 project are
- the investigation of scaling effects in forest ecosystem mapping with SAR data
- the long-term analysis of forest GSV and forest structure over Northeast China based on SAR data
- linking forest DRAGON products with existing land use, land cover and/or fire products and
- the synergy of optical and radar data for mapping forest ecosystems
- adapt current forest mapping algorithms to Eastern Russia
- adapt current and develop new forest mapping algorithm in Continental Southeast Asia
- use the Sentinels-1⁄2 data for forest map updating
- developing a modelling approach for forest services using space data as input for multi-criteria DSS in mountainous forests in China using earth observation.
Under-pining the models will be the technology of remote sensing and existing spatial geo-data to establish or/and enhance forest, land cover and landform information.
The project will deliver theoretical results as well as wall-to-wall maps of forest parameters for China and neighbouring countries. Furthermore, this study will result in a new methodological base for DSS in forest resource management for mountain forest areas in China.
This will be pursued through a case study in pilot region(s) in E and NE China. As a result of Objective 1, a thorough analysis of scaling effects in forest structure mapping and forest GSV mapping at different spatial resolutions will be delivered.
The outcome of Objectives 2 and 3 includes validated forest GSV and GSV change maps for the years 1995- 2005-2010 and possibly 2015 for Northeast China. The products will be generated in close cooperation with and will be exchanged with other DRAGON 3 teams involved in vegetated ecosystems analyses.
In addition, methodological procedures for
- improving and/or validating Forest DRAGON maps with other DRAGON products or several land use or land cover maps and
- for validating forest GSV change by means of fire emission data will be presented. This work will be linked to DRAGON 3 proposals for rice and crop mapping, fire monitoring and atmospheric pollutants.
The deliverables for Objective 4 include methodological procedures (i.e. a Sentinel-Procedure) for monitoring forest ecosystems using different sensors (optical, radar) synergistically at different temporal and spatial scales in accordance with GEOSS requirements.
Objective 5 and Objective 6 include the analysis of algorithms for forest change detection in tropical forest, the forest GSV and coverage maps, forest change analysis in Eastern Russia and Continental Southeast Asia. The time period will include 1995-2005.
Objective 7 deals with algorithms for forest GSV estimation and coverage mapping using Sentinel-1 and Sentinel-2 data, updated 2015 forest GSV and coverage maps for Northeast and South of China, Eastern Russia and Continental Southeast Asia.
The system developed based on the objective 8 will trigger a science-based management tool for forests in mountainous areas.